Monday, April 15, 2013

I love my darling son.

   He's been sick. We all have, but he's taking a little longer to get over it. It seems like we've been sick a lot more this winter than every before, and now winter's over I'm hoping this will be the last time we get sick this year. Meanwhile I've been pumping Cooper full of hot green and white teas with lots of honey, juice, and water. He's staying hydrated, darn it! He's still playing a lot during the day, but he's tired faster. Instead of taking a nap from 2-4 he's been going down at 12 and waking up around 5 or 6, and then going to bed on time and sleeping all night. I'm letting him sleep as much as he can, and have been making stuff that's easy on his throat to eat, like eggs and other soft foods. I've been putting Vicks on him at night to help him sleep without coughing, and he seems to be doing better. He's coughing less, anyway. We've spent almost a week watching cartoons in our jammies with the couch full of bedding. We've painted toe nails and colored a lot. I made cookies the other day with him just to get him up.
   About the middle of the week we needed to go to the store, and he begged to stop at the playground on the way, so I let him play himself out. He's RAN for 2 hours. Up and down the equipment, on the swings, just playing so hard. I feel bad because I know he hates being cooped up and being sick has meant staying indoors, so I let him just play. He was exhausted, and it seemed to make his coughing worse. I was hoping the fresh air would be good for him. No dice. So now we know, I shouldn't give in and let him play outdoors like a maniac when he's sick. I know it seems like common sense, but I really did think that maybe the fresh air would help, and he was so desperate to play. I kind of feel like a crummy mom.
   I'm feeling BIG. I couldn't button my usually oversized saggy cardigan today. I love big round pregnant bellies. I don't just look bloated. I look all pregnant and adorable. I just wish my skin would chill the hell out. There is no reason for it to break out as if I smear Country Crock on it twice a day. Overall I'm liking the way I look right now, though, which is nice. I like being confident in my appearance. I think liking myself also sets a good example for Cooper. I want him to like himself and know that it's not only ok, but GOOD to be self-confident.
   I was reading some current events and there are two that kind of got to me, on completely different levels for totally different reasons. One being Justin Bieber and the Anne Frank guest book. Ok, so while I DO think what he wrote was self-serving, immature, and disrespectful, I don't think he should be bashed to the level that he's being. I hate his music and think he's a ridiculous public figure, but not for being basically a young man. He did something that is so classically young, stupid behavior, I can't really judge him. He was egocentric, tactless, and thoughtless, but I don't think he was intentionally being any of those negative things. I think he's just a young kid that put his foot in his mouth. It was stupid, but honestly, not unreasonable.
   The second thing is the Boston Marathon explosions. My heart goes out to the victims. I hope they figure out the cause, and every bit of me hopes it was a freak accident, and not some bomb. Either way, it was tragic and horrific, and I wish the survivors speedy recoveries and the families of the deceased all the strength to carry on as best they can.
   I'm off to watch Samurai Jack with Cooper. I want to enjoy every moment of his innocence. I hope nothing that terrible ever touches close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment