Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's been WEEKS...

...and the dairy thing is still getting me down. I'm so bummed out. Last night we ordered in since Brandon got paid. The place we ordered from is one of my favorites. The deliver literally everything on the menu, including drinks and dessert, and it's all so yummy. It's a little bit pricey, but it's seriously delicious. I got my usual dish, which I can eat for every meal, I swear, but I have to be careful not to eat too much of it. It has a very light drizzle of white wine cream sauce, and if I eat too much I'll get sick. So I nibble slowly. Meanwhile Cooper got cheese-stuffed tortellini and Brandon got egg plant parmigiana with tons of cheese and a milk shake. I want a chocolate shake so bad.
   See, here's the problem I'm having: Every dessert on the menu had dairy in it. My diet contained a LOT of dairy. This last time I did the grocery shopping I realized just how much dairy we consume. My monthly shopping list has 5 types of cheese on it. 5. We drink milk at every meal. Most of our favorite foods involve cheese, sour cream, milk, cream, or yogurt. It's been really difficult. My midwives said it's not unheard of that if the baby is lactose intolerant or allergic to the protein in dairy, that my body would start to reject it to keep it from getting through to the baby. Great. Our child might not be able to have dairy? Poor baby! Just in case I'm trying to find lots of non-dairy alternatives, so Baby doesn't have to miss out on anything. I'm getting used to almond milk, which the boys both love. It doesn't work quite right in my tea, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I've found coconut milk ice cream that tastes pretty good, too. I might even be able to make decent milkshakes with it and some vanilla almond milk.
   Some days it's just so frustrating. Some days I just want to eat a couple cookies with milk, or have a big old biscuit with tons of gravy, or mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream and milk in them. I think that's what I miss the most. I make some AWESOME mashed potatoes, if I do say so myself. I want cottage cheese, lasagna...
   Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment